Best Ways To Handle Aging
We all know that, apart from intelligence, other things come to us as we grow older. One of them are wrinkles. Sure, as much as we try to adopt the “women are like wine – they get better with age” statement, we somehow always end up crying in front of our mirror because we think we look like a Shar Pei. To prevent that from happening, here are some things you can do.
Deal with it
The first and probably the biggest step is to confront your changing appearance. Yes, your hair is a little thinner, yes, the wrinkles have started to appear, as well as the brown spots, and yes, your muscle tone is beginning to disappear. So what? This is normal and believe me, every age has its benefits – and you know it.
The next thing you need to do is “blame your mother”. I mean go back in time and understand where your current self-image is coming from. When you do that, you will be able to redesign your self-image based on what you now know about yourself.
The last psychological step is to go way back to your adolescence. And take it easy, I know that many people had rough times then, but it is something you must do. Think of all that awkwardness you went through and you will realize that there are actually many similarities between those times and your current grey hair anxiety. You will then finally get to the point where you realize that you are overreacting way too much.
Forget about all those commercials and their “magic” creams that will make you look like that 20-year-old actress in them. What you need are products that are filled with antioxidants and skin-restoring ingredients, and of course, SPF! Sunscreen is always a must, always. After all, sun damage is the main cause of our skin losing its flexibility. Use at least an SPF of 30 every time you leave your house, it will not just help your aging, it will also reduce the risk of skin cancer.Use leave-on gentle salicylic acid or glycolic acid exofilants daily – it will make a huge difference and give your skin its bounce back.
SHOP THIS POST
There is one fabulous product some dear people have provided us with, and it is – makeup. Apart from making you look nicer to yourself, it can hide all of our flaws including scars, freckles, acne and of course – wrinkles. Simply refresh your look with some powder, contouring and highlighting and voila – you can look 10 years younger.
They don’t say “you are what you eat” for nothing. Everything we put into our body manifests itself in some way. Here are some things you should consider adding to your diet:
● Blueberries – they are packed with antioxidants and vitamins C and E
● Fiber – things like veggies, whole grains, fruit, etc. can help you regulate your digestive system and lower your cholesterol and blood pressure – which increase once we get older
● Salmon – it has a huge amount of omega-3 acids which help in preventing strokes and heart diseases
● Olive oil – it increases the amount of antioxidants in your body
● Yogurt – when you get older, your bones get weaker. And since yogurt is rich in calcium and vitamin D, it is a must
● Broccoli – filled with all kinds of antioxidants and vitamins, and also high in fiber – in other words, an unavoidable veggie in every hom
And of course, let’s not forget about water – have at least two liters per day, every day, to keep yourself fresh and young.
Some of those deep wrinkles can’t be eliminated even with the strongest anti-aging cream. Then, women usually opt for a face lift (if you are from Australia, there are some amazing cosmetic surgery clinics in Perth I can recommend). Before you choose to undergo the procedure, make sure you are aware of the results you can expect and the recovery process.
The traditional procedure
The incision is made in front of your ear and extended into your hairline. It stretches downward in front of your ear, comes under it and then ends in your hair behind the ear. The deep tissues get tightened while excess skin gets removed and the cut is closed with sutures and staples.
The new techniques
There are 3 new facelifting methods and new ones are constantly developing:
● LASERS –used for liposculpture and the resurfacing of your neck and jaw under a local anesthetic.
● ENDOSCOPY - used for face and brow lifts. This method requires smaller cuts and you will recover much faster. Your facial structure get raised, so there’s no need for cutting away the excess skin.
● LIPOSUCTION –used for removing focal deposits of fat in your face, usually the chin and neck area.
These surgeries usually last 2 to 5 hours and are performed with sedatives and local anesthetics. The result is a tight and smooth skin with a younger appearance, and the results last for 5 to 10 years.
That would be it. Remember, as Mark Twain has put it “age is an issue of mind over matter – if you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter”.
Bio: Elise is a fitness girl from Colorado. She is health and fitness fanatic who adores hiking, long bicycle rides, paragliding and all sorts of extreme sports, after all she did spend hundreds of hours in the air. She loves writing about health, beauty, adventure, experiences and discrimination.